Make Taco Salad Tonight
I love making Taco Salad. It is so easy to make. When I make them I have a taco bowl kit. I add a tortilla shell into that taco bowl baking dish, throw it in the oven until it’s a little crispy and has formed it’s shape. The kids love it because they get to eat the bowl too!
This recipe doesn't call for taco shells, but if you want to add one on the bottom or make a bowl with a tortilla shell and bake until a little crispy would also be incredible.
- 1 1/2 lbs extra lean ground beef
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 1 large jalepeno pepper seeded and minced
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 cups quartered grape tomatoes
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 12 cups torn romaine and iceberg lettuce
- 1 cup canned whole-kernel corn drained
- 1 cup canned black-beans drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper diced
- 1 cup packed shredded light old cheddar cheese
- 1 cup quartered grape tomatoes
- 1/3 cup chopped green onions
- 1 small ripe avacado peeled and sliced (optional)
- 1 cup light sour cream
- 1 cup medium salsa
Heat a large, non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add beef,onions,jalapeno pepper, and garlic. Cook and stir until beef is no longer pink, breaking up any large pieces. Add chili powder and cumin. Cook 1 more minute. Add grape tomatoes, ketchup, salt and pepper. Cook and stir for 2 more minutes. Remove skillet from heat and set aside.
To assemble salad, spread lettuce over bottom of a serving platter. If you want individual salads, spread lettuce over bottom of small plates or bowls. Top with beef mixture, followed by corn, beans, green pepper, cheese, tomatoes, green onions, and avocado slices (if using) Top with sour cream and salsa just before serving.