Baked Homemade Macaroni and Cheese
This is a favorite in my house!!
- 2 1/2 cups elbow macaroni
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup Panko bread crumbs
- add cooked chicken breast (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Fill a large pot with lightly salted water and bring to a boil over high heat. Stir in the macaroni, and cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the pasta has cooked through, but is still firm to the bite, about 8 minutes. Drain well.
- Combine 1/4 cup butter, flour, milk, salt, and Cheddar cheese in a large saucepan over medium heat; cook and stir until the cheese is melted and the mixture thickens, 7 to 10 minutes. Add the macaroni and stir to coat. Pour the mixture into a 9×13 inch baking dish. Mix the 1/4 cup melted butter and bread crumbs together in a bowl; scatter the crumb mixture evenly over the macaroni mixture.
- Bake in preheated oven until golden brown on top, about 45 minutes.